Tuesday, June 24, 2008

The Rushes

So, I've finally been to Door County. It was mine and Dylan's first time and it was as a family with our four children (E6) and Mark's parents (Roger & Pam) and two of their other grandchildren, Jackie (12) and Jessica (9). We had a lot of fun. We were only there for one full day (that's a long story), but we made the most of it. We experienced some softball as a family, swimming keep away, watching "America's Funniest Home Videos", "Family Feud" and "Are You Smarter than a 5th grader?" and the activity that needs the most work: our family sing along. Taylor played the guitar, but only knows one song right now (They'll Know We're Christians By Our Love), but we didn't know the lyrics and the kids were a little shell shocked. It turned into an impromptu family talent, variety show. We have very entertaining kids!
This is the view from Roger & Pam's condo - they've been going to this same resort since 1980 something. I walked down to the lake and spent 20 minutes sitting, watching, listening and thinking. It was wonderful to sit and let God love me in my stillness. This view reminds me a bit of Eagle River. The mosquitoes liked this view too; we got eaten up, but it did not stop the kids from being outdoors virtually every moment of the day.
I woke up early and read with a cup of coffee outside on the deck. Dylan woke up right after me, so I invited him to join me for some quiet morning reading. I really hope to pass my love of reading along to all of the kids, but for now, he's the one that it's sticking with. In the photo, he's joking about being asleep. Between reading and telling me about the story (it had vampires in it), I got to do very little reading of my own. Never mind that; I got a little quality time with my shorty and it was divine.
And then there was 10! (left to right) Jackie, Dylan, Roger, Sabrina, Pam, Taylor, Jessica (I think she's sad that we're leaving when the photos are finished), Mark and Veronica. Is it me or are the adults the only ones smiling? We had a great time. Mark and I took all 6 kids out for lunch and ice cream one day to give the grandparents a little rest - they are good servants to their children and their children's families. Kangaroo Lake proved to be a relaxing, fun getaway - I don't call this a vacation - and I hope we'll be able to do it again next year, maybe even for the entire week. I am so thankful for Mark's parents and how inclusive of Dylan and I they are, it's as if I've known them for years.

It was a good trip for E6; ironic though, we went to "the Rushes" to slow down and relax. (get it? rush, slow..., I need some new material...)




No comments:

Post a Comment