Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Climbing Mount Laundry

So, I can finally say that I've climbed a mountain.After returning from the Rushes, we had dirty laundry that hadn't been washed from before we left for our trip and of course the stuff we'd brought back with us...11 loads later, there is a mountain of clean clothes on air hockey table and couch. I have come to the conclusion that I need some routines and organization in this arena. Partly so that it goes more smoothly and partly so that I don't dread the task of keeping my family in clean clothing. Here are the ideas I've come up with.

I will run the washer and dryer every week day (taking the weekends off).

I will fold all of the clothes that I wash and sort them into each person's individual laundry basket. My husband has agreed to oversee the putting away of clothes, which I strongly dislike. I won't even tell them that they have clean clothes, I'll let the natural consequence of running out bring them to the conclusion that they ought to retrieve their basket and put their own clothes away.

I will label each person's white socks with a Sharpie. Thankfully we all have different first initials. And since our last trip to Wal-Mart (forgive me Aim), we bought white socks specifically geared toward each individual and it'll make it easier to label and then reconnect separated socks when they're clean.

On days that the laundry pile seems higher than I might have liked, I will put in a movie, watch a recorded television show or listen to some music to pass the time.


Having to take time to tackle something like this keeps me from enjoying the things I really want to do and be with the people that I love most. Dylan is illustrating my frustration in this photo. A great reminder of how I do NOT want things to be. I'm so glad to read in the Old Testament about how God is a God of order. I don't need to go OCD on it, but it's okay to take organization of something like this to "Regina level" so that I can be about my purpose without stressing myself and my family to pieces.

In implementing my new bylaws (he, he), I'm freer to climb other mountains.


No comments:

Post a Comment