Monday, June 2, 2008

Jammin' with Jimmi

So, I live with Jimmi Hendrix! Well not quite...

Taylor, my stepson just got an electric guitar. Yes, an electric guitar. He is 12 and really, really into music. His favorite band right now (much to my chagrin - I've always wanted to write that phrase) is the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

I'm reading a lot about the life of a middle schooler from someone that researched from within one about 6 or 7 years ago (see my "Shelfari" bookshelf). Man, there is so much to brace ourselves for. A great thing is that as Taylor fights to discover himself through this awkward growth spurt, he'll really do well if he has many opportunities to express himself through the many changes to come.

I feel ill-prepared to jump into this stage of development. As the mother of an 8 year old boy, I was really feeling I had much more time to get prepared, to get ready for this. But, I believe now is the time to get ready. NOW!!!!

Sex, drugs, politics, good looking clothes, explaining girls. He's got thoughts and questions about all of these. I've gotta do my homework. I can freak about this because I want to be ready with the best answer for him everytime he talks to me (and he does initiate conversations with me). But, I can relax knowing the most important thing that I can do is remain in Him. After that, I believe it's to be available and to really listen when he finally decides to open up. Don't get me wrong though, I want to be there for him, but I have not and will not lose sight of my most important role as parent.

My parents were rough on me, they had rules and were strict and though I did not appreciate the discipline then, I'm grateful for how consistent they were. I knew that I wasn't going to be able to indulge in things like alcohol, sex or any of those things without the natural consequences of the act and then their wrath too. My parents were no joke. They tag teamed and tagged our tails when we stepped out of line, but I knew that it was in love (years later).

I've often spoken to my friends with boys about how great it is to be the mom of a boy and it is great. But to be the mom of a soon-to-be teenage boy, hmmm...that's a bit different. How different, I'm about to find out, but I'm excited and assurred in God's promises that He will NOT give us more than we can handle. Even if it comes in the package of a 12 year old...with an electric guitar.


We be jammin'!!!!









No comments:

Post a Comment