Wednesday, May 14, 2008

The People of Myanmar

So, I'm struggling to grasp the magnitude of support needed for the Myanmar people. I have to be honest and share that I didn't even think cyclones were real things and knew less of a country called Myanmar (my geography skills are shameful - I am not smarter than a 5th grader). Even when I attempted to understand how a storm of this magnitude could form, I could only shake my head and be grateful that those types of storms are near unheard of here in Wisconsin or where my parents live in Georgia.Myanmar, also known as Burma, is in the southern continent of Asia. It borders the Indian Ocean and has been devastated by the cyclone that hit only two days ago. While Myanmar is mostly a Buddhist country, there are a variation of other religions, including Christianity and I believe that God is working His plan in this situation and this country while never taking His eyes and heart off of each of us, even in this country's current crisis. Amazing...
I look at this photo of the damage beneath the house and the two kids peeking outside of its window and I consider how resilient God has made us as people. I don't see the children's faces up close, but I believe that as their basic needs are met and they are surrounded in love, they'll still be children. I don't understand the exact how of it all, but by faith (and a little experience of our own), I believe that the people who've survived and are given aid, will be strengthened.
The caption on the website stated that these people were sitting by the road waiting for supplies to be delivered. I pray that they will not have to wait long for the water purification systems to be put into place, for the rice and other foods that are being delivered and for everyday items like clothes, blankets and money. I pray that the peace of God would rest over this country and that His glory would be done. Here others wait for supplies, for how long - I wonder. Is there even enough for everyone or will they again wait later in the day or repeat the process the following morning? It appears to be mostly women and children waiting. I wonder if the men are alive and repairing their homes or if they are among the large death toll. I'm curious as to whether the communities are pulling together in support of one another as they wait for relief or if they're pulled apart and strained beyond to consider others outside of their immediate loved ones. The photos make this only a little more real for me. It is somewhat embarrassing to admit because I feel so desensitized to what is likely happening beyond the snapshots here. I walked away more shaken by "I am Legend" than the footage I've seen about Myanmar. It is shameful that I have been so numbed to others pain, their life's upheavel. It seems like a land so far away from my life, my culture, my world. I wonder if they thought this of us as the twin towers were attacked in 2001. Tragedies are happening everyday and I believe that God has a plan and purpose behind the big ones like Myanmar, like Hurricane Katrina (2005), the earthquakes in China this week and even the little tragedies that happen in our own individual lives. I trust that He is in control, especially now. And it it is into His hands that I put the people of Myanmar.

No comments:

Post a Comment