Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I am a writer, I'm not gon give up...

So, I'm taking this writing course. It is my second writing session and I'm actually producing written pieces - they're rough, but they're written. I am digging into the writing process, developing characters, having my work critiqued by other writers inside the process and loving it!

I came to this experience when I first moved to Wauwatosa last summer. I wanted something to help hone the talents that people kept telling me I had. I wanted to see if it was really there. God directed my paths...I put "writing classes" into the Google Search Engine, with "Milwaukee" in the location box and "Redbird Studios" [http://www.redbirdstudio.com/] was the only option that presented itself in the results box. There is so much potential for me to use this resource to actually publish my work while learning to appreciate the process that goes into making my favorite pastime (reading) possible. Thanks to the ever persistent encouragement of my friend Vanessa (thank you V for pushing me uphill), I'm out on the open page and not allowing my fear of creative blockage, failure or the red pen suffocate my attempts to write.

Today was the first of four roundtables (1 each month over the summer). The roundtables are critique groups designed to support writers as they work on projects and continue developing the craft. Groups are small. Leaders are committed to helping participants reach their individual writing goals - big project or small, fiction, nonfiction or plays. As a member of the group, you read your work, receive feedback, share ideas and build a network of writing friends. Redbird roundtable groups are appropriate for dedicated writers who have attended the Shut Up and Write! seminar. When there is a waiting list for roundtables - which is often the case - returnees get first dibs, followed by those who recently attended Shut Up and Write! - Yes I did shut up and write gurlfriend, das how I got to da the roundtabul. (cracking me up)

I am roundtabling it. I'm all up in it; sharing my thoughts about others' pieces and really heeding the wisdom, encouragements and critiques shared about my own. Though I've been working on a piece now for over 6 months, I can't let it go. It's called "Casualties of War". I shared only the first two paragraphs today at roundtables, though I'd shared it before and even entered it into a contest (didn't win, didn't place, didn't even get a rejection letter...yikes!), it keeps coming back to me as a story that is demanding to be told. I'm sharing it here now with you just as I shared it in class and then below, I'll share the comments of some of my fellow circlefolk.


(Throat clearing sound entered here)
**************
Livy leaned in as the pale, disheveled woman next to her finished her sentence, blew her nose into the already crumpled Kleenex, and continued to share her pain. Livy nodded absently and smiled bleakly, it was her best effort at empathy. Livy was new to the group, she was trying to pay attention and connect. It seemed that everyone in the room understood what Sue was sharing. She could relate to Sue's loss. 34 years old and surrounded by other grieving, sad souls. Lost women searching for their lost souls. War killed off their families, their lives, their loves. The stories were different, but with one common thread. They were all desperate to at least find acceptable paths, if not peaceful ones to repair the life changing damages of war.

As the sharing continued, Livy's heart went out to Sue and the others. She knew she had enough in common with these women to be here, but as Sue broke down, convulsing with pain, taking control of her body, her breathing, Livy checked out. The persistent hum of the fluorescent lighting raised up and drowned out her grim surroundings and air lifted her out of the room firing her into their past with the power behind a bullet.

****************
There were 10 of us around the table and it was quickly evident that my piece, short as it was, would need a lot of revision. The facilitator/owner (Judy Bridges) took me back to the basics...she wanted to "see and hear" more of what was happening in the scene rather than be told about it. Others felt that I'd built their interest and they definitely wanted to read more, but felt that it was a bit passive. One RT (Roundtabler) wrote, "very poetic writing, the structure is a little loose". Another wrote, "Beautiful writing, Regina. I want to read more." One RT encouraged me greatly when they wrote, "Great perspective - you hear so much of the heroes lost, but not of the victims left behind". That's exactly what this piece will be about...I believe I'm headed in the right direction.

I'm writing. I'm writing! I am writing. I am a writer! And again, I'm blessed by God with what I need. He knew that I'd be more successful with some structure and accountability, and has given me my current format in roundtables. It is an exciting format for this stage of my writing to get me out there (in writing land), stepping out of my comfort zone, so that I can show my talents.

God has many imitative abilities - I am delighted that WRITER is one of them.





No comments:

Post a Comment