Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dentist Field Trip

So, I've learned a new definition of "crazy"...

We took all four kids to the dentist on the same day. It was another introduction into what I'm realizing is the wild ride of my life. Taylor only had x-rays and needed to be rescheduled for a filling and an orthodontist consultation (braces???), Dylan got sealants, Sabrina got high praise for sitting perfectly still during her cleaning and Veronica would be considered "most improved" since her last visit.

If that was all to our dentist trip, then you'd be wondering where the "crazy" came in, but here goes...

We arrived early for check-in, 11:40 for 12:00 appointments and weren't called for our first of four appointments until 12:45...note the times. They are LUNCHTIMES for us. Veronica was the only one to bring entertainment (her dolls), so everyone was a bit antsy, maybe even a little nervous about what to expect. Mark arrived to help us get through our appointments and I hope it goes without saying that the kids respond differently to me than to him. So, the quiet sitting in the waiting room, while waiting went into high gear when "DADDY!!!!" walked into the room. Suddenly the need for water and bathroom breaks and another bathroom time arose. There was a little girl in a wheelchair with a severe handicap that was unrecognizable to Veronica and she proceeded to shout it from the top of her lungs, laughing and pointing at the girl. The chairs weren't deep enough for me to sink into and hide...Mark, the angel that he is, handled it like a champ, pulling Veronica into her fear (why else do we laugh at others, right?) and introducing her to the young girl and her mother. Who knows how much Veronica learned, but I can say that I fell in love with my husband in a new place in my heart...

Finally, our kids are called back to the kids' waiting room where their teeth are worked on quickly, photos are taken for their files and because of their welcome participation, given lots of stickers and new toothbrushes and toothpaste. Oh, that reminds me, I still need to get them those flossy thingys...

Anyhoo, the ride was coming to an end...until it was time to schedule our next appointments. Whew! Needless to say, I'm grateful that the dentist's office is an appointment we only need once every six months. Unless, of course there are cavities (which two of our kidlets have) and need to be seen within weeks of the harried appointment I'd like to put into my distant past. Pray for me, these appointments require pain...oops, I mean, pray for the kids and their pain.

I'm proud of us though, it's another example of how our family does "normal, regular" things. It may not look like everyone else's "normal", but when we hit a bit of crazy, we know we're awfully close. Thank God that field trips eventually come to an end.








No comments:

Post a Comment