Sunday, March 7, 2010

Mother Son Time

One mom.  Check!  One soccer playing son.  Double Check! Milwaukee Wave Professional Soccer Team...yaaaa!!!

I ordered 2 tix for Dylan and me to see the soccer team play; they're very good!  Mark was awesome enough to hold down the fort, so that Dylan and I could have this time together.  I took him to Noodles for lunch and listened to his 10 year old mind. Watching him while he spoke made me eager for the next time that we'd be able to hang out together.  He's so interesting and right on about some of his observations.   With him starting middle school in the fall, I know major changes are coming and I want to stay as connected as possible during this potentially tumultuous time.  

I really felt it was a sacrifice for me to be taking him to this game.  I don't even understand soccer (I've purchased and am reading "Soccer for Dummies") and wanted more than anything to be home resting after having hosted 4 college boys at our house for the weekend.    I couldn't have planned something better for us to do.  

The Wave experience is very energetic!  It was amazingly loud too - I think my ears may still be ringing...

My favorite thing was when they played, "Jump Around" by House of Pain and Dylan invited me to join him and I did and not only did I enjoy it, but I kept up with him throughout the entire thing.  We fell down into our seats laughing and bonded after 1 minute of sheer silliness.  I was reminded of how important it is to be and have fun with our kids. Even more importantly, I was reminded of how important 1-1 time with each of our kids is; how we need to put that into our schedules and then act on it...regularly!

It doesn't have to be fancy, but it does need to be done, for them as much as for ourselves.  How many other reasons will I find that allow me to be more free to be childlike than when actually with our children?  

So, the next time you find me behaving immaturely, give me the benefit of the doubt and ask if I've recently spent 1-1 time with one of the kids:)


No comments:

Post a Comment