Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Erickson play-by-play

The first two months of the year have flown by. It's been like a really entertaining football game (way to go Saints!). You know the team has to have plays and a plan, but how it'll work out when they get on the field may not go according to plan and then the team has to be quick to re-adjust, but especially willing and ready to work together. I'm trying to learn so much about how the Erickson family will play this game of life and am recently brought back to the understanding that I need to know me and be clear about who I am and what I'm bringing to the team.

So, I'm reading this book, "Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self" by Sarah Ban Breathnach and this woman has got me "digging" to find me. I'm into it and truly believe I need to do the work, but have to admit that I'm little nervous about what I may find. Do you know what I mean? I'm sure there are good things, but what will I do with the less than pleasant things? The things that my husband and family have been (not so subtly) pointing out to me...those things that I can't and ought not run away from. Huh...back here again. Guess it's time to roll up my sleeves and get to work.

While I'm working on this project on the sidelines; there's still a lot happening on the field, "in the game".

Mark and I have decided to truly prioritize our marriage and are receiving some consistent discipling & coaching about values and foundational, biblical principles in our relationship from two couples - yep, we need two couples helping us. Thankfully they're committed to our growth. We booked our annual trip to Mexico and will be celebrating our 2nd anniversary oceanside in April. Since we weren't sure we'd be able to take this trip this year, we're so grateful that the opportunity landed in our lap (well within our price range) and that we will be able to have time to focus on one another and our life as a team without the many responsibilities on our plate.

Our oldest, Taylor, 14 is going through some thangs. (yep, I meant thangs). I suppose it's "normal", but compared to the way I was raised, he'd be experiencing some different and more painful teachings to the lower back region of his body had he had Willie or Mary to contend with. I'm watching - as a stepmom; I need to be sharp, faithful and ready, but also incredibly careful about how I proceed in these types of matters. Let's just say, we're hoping that this is a mini detour and that Taylor will be rejoining us and his mother in the real world; or rather the way it's going to be.

Dylan, 10 is obsessed with summer. His birthday is in summer and the kid has enjoyed some pretty stellar parties, so I can see why he's looking forward to that time of year. We're also going to be traveling to Door County, Georgia and he gets to go camp in August; so I think that's on his radar too. He's such a mover and a shaker unlike his mother who'd love to stay home and have just about every day be a quiet day with a cup of coffee and a great book in a clean house. Let me just say that much of this blog will be dedicated to Dylan's middle school experience (or perhaps my dramatic reaction to it) in the fall. CAN YOU BELIEVE I'LL HAVE A MIDDLE SCHOOLER? Yikes!

Sabrina, 10 is doing well. She's learning to use more spoken language - because we often refuse what she's seeking until she does - and is so capable of socializing and interacting with the family when encouraged to. Girlfriend loves, loves, loves to clean and does a great job too. She's also got some serious rhythm and gives great hugs and kisses when I least expect them. I am at times challenged when witnessing her desire for the simplest things in life; a sticker, a smile, a job that she can do and be praised for...

Veronica, 7. Let me just say, I think I will get the full experience of co-parenting a girl with the likes of miss Veronica. She's bright, beautiful and knows how to "play the game" if you know what I mean. Whew...I've got to pace myself with V. She's also the one that cracks me up at my core because she already seems to know and be so comfortable with herself at this age and with a tiny filter to match her tiny self, there's not much that she thinks that she doesn't say. If nothing else though, she keeps it real.

We're working on melding this blended family of ours; this "motley crew" so to speak. We learned at a conference last year that it can take about 7 years for a family like ours to function as if it's been blended. 7 YEARS!!!! I'll be in my 40s by then...breathe, breathe...

Mark and I realize that our unity as a couple is where it can work or will fall apart; so we're doing the work. I don't have enough time or energy in my fingers to type about all of that; but believe me we're doing the work. I'm so grateful that God gave us this opportunity early on and that we're seizing it. We need this support and God knows we wouldn't make it into the end zone without His guidance, word and love.

So, that's our play-by-play as we go into March. I know it's kind of a rip off; like I only gave the highlights after the game is over, but there are so many things happening on the field at once that I don't think I could tell you all about them and even if I started to - mid-sentence, they'd start to change anyway.

Thanks for watching our family grow together. We hear you cheering for us; keep it coming...


1 comment:

  1. You RA RA! GO ERICKSONS!!!! WE LOVE YOU- THE SHIMS!

    ReplyDelete