Friday, March 19, 2010

Boys Will Be Boys...

I couldn't believe it.  We were with two other families for our bi-monthly Bible Talk.  After the brief lesson and some snacks, the adults were chatting and I looked over and saw this.  Our 14 year old boy was sitting in the middle of the basement floor playing with wrestling figures (dare I say dolls?) and a wrestling ring.  At one point, he was making them fight one another and adding in their dialogue.  It was jaw dropping and tenderizing all at the same time.  

If you haven't met Taylor, let me say, he's my hands on, close up window into teenage boys.  He'll be 15 in November and is talking about and thinking about things that I wish the brain was hardwired to consider at 30.  It's surreal; wasn't I just avoiding openness with my parents about this stuff only a few years ago?  

It's daunting to me to know exactly how best to respond to teenagerness.  Fortunately, Mark is conversational with the kids and is still in the dialogue with Taylor about all of the tough stuff.  I've been invited in on the periphery - as long as I don't freak out or have an instant panic attack when he shares; which may have happened, I'm not at liberty to say at this moment.  We are also blessed to have friends with teenage boys that know Taylor and have known him since before I came on the scene; they are my partners in staying afloat.  It's also great to have Elders in our church that are on to grandchildren and have lived through this whole teenage phenomenon on the parent side and have come out stronger and excited to help the rest of us.  

Let me just KIR (Keep It Real) right now...

This boy, child, non-working person in our home is asking about sex.  Aaaaaaaaa!  Breathe, breathe...Aaaaaaaaa!!!!

And the craziest thing is that it's normal, right?  The hormones are raging, man.  There's not a mirror that he can't walk past without taken an extended look and then flexing.  Getting him to wear a shirt around the house is like trying to get extra luggage checked at the airport without charge.   I'm stunned that we are going through this right now.  

I do trust that God has got this.  Just like many have given birth and gotten a baby out of the deal, many have additionally lived through parenting teens.  In my spare time, I'm reading a book called, "Yes, Your Teen is Crazy". So far the pieces and parts I've been able to read, particularly about teens, divorce and blended families have been incredibly enlightening.  Please pray for me, I'm trying to balance being involved and supportive while remembering that I'm not a primary parent to Taylor and have never been (nor never plan to be) a boy.  I pray regularly and know that God is in control.

So, as we ride this wild ride, know that I have two double seat belts buckled as I try to remind myself that "boys will be boys"...until they become men.

No comments:

Post a Comment