Friday, October 22, 2010

Social Networking - Proclamation 431

I'd hate to think that I'm a rebel at heart, but something in me is seriously questioning all of the "opportunities" (email, phone, texting, Facebook, Twitter, etc) I have to connect with people . Let me go further, people that I wouldn't normally talk to or interact with if not forced to do so in work, volunteer or other situations. Further? I don't have time for your drama folks, I've got a landfill of my own.

Will people miss me on Facebook? I took a deep breath (and held it) and deleted about 275 'friends' from my account. It's MY account, right? So less than 24 hours after doing so, I got a message asking me if the person had done anything to offend me - I think they're wondering why we're not 'friends' on Facebook anymore. I haven't responded because I don't know how to say, "it's not you, it's me" without coming across as flippant.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I liked seeing what folks were up to or hearing/seeing good news; but it was getting a little overwhelming. I'm not God, I can't do anything about your dog dying, your bad break up or tell you to stop swearing or just being dumb...I can't handle all of that information and I realized that I was trying to. Without realizing it, Facebook had become an obligation, to keep my page & photos and clever remarks fresh and new to keep people interested in me. That may not be what it was designed to do, but it was what was happening to me.

This morning, I read about not being mastered by anything (1 Corinthians 6: 9 - 20) and I had step back and realize that the stress I'm carrying in my shoulders is coming (partly) from being TOO connected. Ya feel me? Sometimes, there's just too much availability. I spent 20 minutes reading Harry Potter & the Half Blood Prince in my sun warmed window seat (that my husband customized for me) and you would've thought that I'd won the lottery. I couldn't stop beaming enjoying the simplicity of those minutes, uninterrupted, quiet, focused and I knew that God gifted that to me. How many gifts do I miss everyday wondering what a Facebook 'friend' that I never talk to, email or see is doing or thinking at that very moment. How much do I miss while worrying rather than enjoying the blessings?

Please hear me when I say that Facebook is not evil. It is a "permissible" thing, it's fine to catch up quickly, confirm a detail or two; I like that about Facebook. And I like a lot that the founder is donating a ton o money for seemingly good causes; but I have allowed this social networking situation to turn into something that steals my peace and joy. I am right now debating whether I will deactivate my account, that will take some more thought, but I am going to continue to weed down and out the people I'm calling my 'friends'. 100 seems like a good goal?!? Down from over 500, you bet! Quality over quantity, I always (well, almost always) say.

In exchange for the brief, stinted communications & posts via Facebook, I'm striving for returning to the days of Emily Post where people send hand written cards or make telephone calls or heck, even stop by or plan a visit to see one another in person. Change is a 'comin' and here's to getting a little bit of peace back!







No comments:

Post a Comment