Saturday, October 11, 2008

On Wisconsin

Mark's first time at Camp Randall...

We mixed some of his favorite things together to come up with this weekend. Travel to someplace new, college football, our 6 month wedding anniversary and oh yes, me his wife. I agreed to go back to my alma mater (2 times in the making - English Degree and Education Degree) and have the memories of going to football games completely wash over me.

Who was that woman? In a sorority, hardly focused on her academics, so insecure, so unsure, so directionless. She NEVER would have guessed that she'd be back in Madison with this whole new life, new outlook.

One of the surprises was certainly that the Badgers played their worst game in 30+ years losing to Penn State terribly. Sorry honey...


But, the weather was stellar. I'm even wearing short sleeves. We really took in the stadium and the electricity of the crowd. On our way up to our seats (the usher told us not to hit our heads on the blimp on the way up), we talked to the guy that maneuvers the camera above the field. Mark really, really likes to find out about how things work, the behind-the-scenes stuff. He wants to dissect and question and analyze and know. In the moment, I'm completely reluctant, "why can't we just get to our seats and sit down?", but often walk away glad to have learned that extra tidbit because of his curiosities.
We're planning to make a weekend of it again next year. I truly am encouraged that my hubby wants me to hang out with him at such a not me kind of thing. It is wonderful to try the things that my spouse is interested in. It opens me up to something about him I didn't understand or possibly even appreciate before. Very encouraging.

I thank God that I've married someone who is so adventurous and truly does want to experience a lot of what God allows us to see on Earth. Even within losses, there are often big wins.


No comments:

Post a Comment